SoccerStar - Supportforum

Go Back   SoccerStar - Supportforum > Game & Support > Strategy & Tactics

Old 02.07.2012, 21:34   #1
Snfreweh

Question Tackling Strategy for Goalkeepers

I'm sure that this has been brought up before (and if it has just point me to the right thread and I'll close this one. I just didn't see it when I scanned through), but how exactly does the tackling strategy affect a Keeper's play? I know that we occasionally will go out and make a tackle if the Strikers get too close to goal, but this doesn't seem to happen very often regardless of what tackling strategy is used.

Is it worth changing strategies every game like you would other positions? Or should I just set mine to a certain setting and not worry about it.

(I was also wondering about the passing strategy, but since Keepers do literally nothing but pass when they have possession of the ball I figure it doesn't really matter.)

Thanks in advance
Snfreweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03.07.2012, 06:23   #2
gdnp

Playa doesn't answer questions about how it's programming works, so everything posted here is inference. It seems that tackling strategy works for goalkeepers just as it does for other players: more aggressive increases the chance of stealing the ball from your opponent, but also increases the chance of a yellow or red card. The one difference is that I have never seen a goaltender get a red card, and have no idea what happens if he does.

It is assumed that passing strategy has no effect on the goaltender, but again, we have no direct evidence either way.
gdnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03.07.2012, 08:19   #3
nNelg
Voluntary Forum Moderator

Being a goaltender myself (and having posed the very question a long time ago), I too am frustrated by the fact that after a year of gameplay I still cannot tell how the settings influence performance.
nNelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04.07.2012, 08:39   #4
gdnp

why should goaltenders be different than anyone else? I've had games where I've been set on solo runs where I've passed the ball every time I've gotten it. Seems to me that if you are set on solo runs you should dribble and shoot only. Each time you get the ball, it should end in a goal shot or a steal ball by the other team. But Playa thinks otherwise. Or perhaps I should say that Playa has programmed the game otherwise. I'm not sure much thinking was involved.
Old 04.07.2012, 10:39   #5
nNelg

I did not notice that in my short career as a middie. It seemed to me that adjusting to passing or ballhog made a difference in performance.
Old 04.07.2012, 14:41   #6
gdnp

I'm relatively certain it makes a difference, but the difference may be less than you think.
Old 07.07.2012, 23:33   #7
Snfreweh

I do tend to notice that players who have more running oriented pass strategies tend to do a significant amount of less passing, so I can see the differences there. It just seems odd why there should be a passing strategy at all for Keepers, that space could easily be reprogrammed for something Keeper exclusive, though what that would be I couldn't think of off the top of my head.
Old 08.07.2012, 07:59   #8
gdnp

you could favor long clearing passes to the strikers with high low percentage of completion or short clearing passes to the defenders that are rarely intercepted.
Old 08.07.2012, 10:29   #9
nNelg

I have no clue so I made up my own interpretation and have decided it determines whether I will knit or read a book. I think this is why the stronger teams score so much against me.
Old 08.07.2012, 13:09   #10
Snfreweh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnp View Post
you could favor long clearing passes to the strikers with high low percentage of completion or short clearing passes to the defenders that are rarely intercepted.
That's actually not a bad thought.

Tags
brutal, keeper, strategy, tackle, tackling